Affiliate marketing is where a lot of people who want to make money online start off
Affiliate marketing is basically the concept of promoting products and services that are owned or provided by others while receiving a commission for the sales produced.
Affiliate marketers are like the “middle-man” in a business deal.
In very simple terms:
- You pick a product you want to promote to others
- You get a special link from the product owner with your details encoded (this is called an affiliate link)
- You put up a web page
- You feature that product on the web page linked to by your affiliate link
- If somebody buys the product you get paid a commission
It’s actually beautifully simple
- You don’t have to have own a product or offer a service in order to make money with this method.
- There is very little, (if any) interaction between you and those that buy in the end. You are really a referrer
- The product owners take care of the customer support so you don’t have to.
- You can get started with very little investment. I recommend getting your own domain name and somewhere to host it, but you can do that for less than $20
- Affiliate marketing will teach you the basics of internet marketing and the basic concepts.
What products could I promote?
There are actually many options if you decide to dabble in affiliate marketing
The only criteria is that the product has an affiliate program running which provides you with your affiliate link
- You could choose digital products such as software or ebooks (big commissions – 50%, 75% and sometimes even 100$)
- Or physical products – Amazon for instance run a very good affiliate program which pays around 5 to 8% for anything purchased
- Or you could be an affiliate for education programs, coaching programs or accreditation courses which others run
Each have their own set of pro’s and con’s when it comes to promoting them on the internet.
For most people, it’s a personal preference or a factor that depends on the niche they wish to venture into
Many experienced infopreneurs (myself included) use affiliate marketing as part of their portfolio of money making ventures
Here are some articles on affiliate marketing to see whether it will whet your appetite[alert-announce]Affiliate Statement: Note that there are links in this article which are affiliate links – meaning that if you purchase a product through that link I will get a commission :). Please note that I will only place my affiliate links on products I either i) use in my business or ii) I have bought but do not use in my business, but it may be of use to you in your business (and I recommend it)[/alert-announce]